1 a Greek sandwich: sliced roast lamb with onion and tomato stuffed into pita bread
2 rotating mechanism in the form of a universally mounted spinning wheel that offers resistance to turns in any direction [syn: gyroscope]
Etymology 1From gyroscope, by shortening
Gyro may refer to:
- An abbreviation for autogyro, a type of rotary-wing aircraft
- Gyro (or, more properly, gyros), a pita sandwich or the rotisseried meat it contains
- An abbreviation for gyroscope, an orientation-stabilizing device
- The casually used brand name of a detangler mechanism, part of a stunt-adapted BMX bicycle
- Gyro Gearloose, a comic-book character.
- Gyro International, a social fraternal organization
- An abbreviation for Gyrodactylus salaris, a parasite in salmon
- A nickname for the rumored baseball pitch, the gyroball.
- The nickname of the Panther Choice Award Winning Jesus "Bartleby" Jones.
- Gyro student magazine of Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
- GYRO, a computer program for tokamak plasma simulation.
- Honda Gyro, a family of tilting three wheel vehicles.
- 'Gyro', a stimulant drug appearing in the science fiction novel The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein.
gyro in Norwegian: Gyro
gyro in Ukrainian: Гіроскоп